This dataset includes a series of 30 education-related majors' performance measures before and after they completed a 10-hour video game practice in a computer lab. The goal of the experimental study was to examine the effects of action video gaming on students' mathematics performance and mathematics anxiety as mediated by the effect of attention on working memory. The dataset includes students' pre- and posttest performance measures for geometry, word and non-word mathematics problems, perceived cognitive load associated with mathematics assessment, mental rotation test, working memory assessment, mathematics anxiety and confidence in learning mathematics.
- 2008). The effects of video game playing on attention, memory, and executive control. Acta Psychologica, 129, 3, 387–398. doi: 10.1016/j.actpsy.2008.09.005.
- 1987). The effects of videogame playing on the response selection processing of elderly adults. Journals of Gerontology, 42, 82–85.
- 2007). Training visual attention with video games: not all games are created equal. In H. O'Neil & R. Perez (Eds), Computer games and adult learning (pp. 205–227). Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- 2005). Working memory span tasks: a methodological review and user's guide. Psychonomic Bulletin & Review, 12, 769–786.
- 2002). Improving children's mental rotation accuracy with computer game playing. The Journal of Genetic Psychology, 163, 3, 272–282.
- 2007). Playing an action video game reduces gender differences in spatial cognition. Psychological Science, 18, 10, 850–855.
- 1976). Fennema-Sherman mathematics attitudes scales: instruments designed to measure attitudes toward the learning of mathematics by females and males. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 7, 5, 324–326.
- 2013). Action video games make dyslexic children read better. Current Biology, 23, 6, 462–466. doi: 10.1016/j.cub.2013.01.044.
- 1989). An approach to training based upon principled task decomposition. Acta Psychologica, 71, 89–146.
- 1994). Transfer of skill from a computer game trainer to flight. Human Factors, 36, 387–405.
- 2007). Action-video-game experience alters the spatial resolution of vision. Psychological Science, 18, 1, 88–94. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9280.2007.01853.x.
- 2012). Learning, attentional control, and action video games. Current Biology, 22, 6, R197–R206. doi: 10.1016/j.cub.2012.02.012.
- 2010). Perceptual learning during action video game playing. Topics in Cognitive Science, 2, 2, 202–216. doi: 10.1111/j.1756-8765.2009.01054.x.
- 1999). The handbook of psychological testing ( 2nd ed.). London: Routledge.
- 2013). Development of an instrument for measuring different types of cognitive load. Behavior Research Methods, 45, 4, 1058–1072.
- 1994). Variability of worked examples and transfer of geometrical problem solving skills: a cognitive load approach. Journal of Educational Psychology, 86, 122–133.
- 1995). A redrawn Vandenberg & Kuse mental rotations test: different versions and factors that affect performance. Brain and Cognition, 28, 39–58.
- 2009). Systematic video game training in surgical novices improves performance in virtual reality endoscopic surgical simulators: a prospective randomized study. World Journal of Surgery, 2360–67, 33, 2360–2367.
- 2003). Converging evidence that stereotype threat reduces working memory capacity. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 85, 440–452.
- 2012). The role of selective attention on academic foundations: a cognitive neuroscience perspective. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience, 25, S30–S48.
- 1989). Is working memory capacity task dependent? Journal of Memory and Language, 28, 2, 127–154.
- 1978). Mental rotations, a group test of three-dimensional spatial visualization. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 47, 2, 599–604.